Monastery of Bo Xesús de Trandeiras.

Monastery of Bo Xesús de Trandeiras.

Monasterio do Bon Xesús de Trandeiras.

With a name that clearly coincides with the mythical setting of the Sanctuary of Bom Jesus in Braga, its origins are linked to the Marian apparitions in the area. It was founded in 1523 by Alonso de Piña, prior of the neighboring Santa María A Real de Xunqueira de Ambía. The master in charge of its construction was Bartolomé de Nosendo, a bricklayer of Portuguese origin, who had already worked in Santo Estevo de Sandiás and in the same collegiate of Ambía.

Occupied from the beginning and forever by the Franciscan order (1523-1835), the initial idea was to build just the church. Finally the prior erected a complete monastery.

Of the monumental ensemble, the church is the best preserved building, its roof being the most notable on the outside. It has a decoration in relief in the Manueline style, a late Gothic very characteristic of Portugal that was imported by master Bartolomeu.

Plant forms intertwined with grotesques (fantastic beings with human or animal appearance) and canopy arches (curved shape with a pointed beak) coexist in a harmonious atmosphere in the center of the building. At the top there is a huge tower on the left topped by a bell tower. Inside it has magnificent sculptural carvings, altarpieces and murals.

Unlike the church, the cloister is not in such good condition. However, we can still see its rectangular plan with the 28 arches that make it up. The scheme of the main façade is also repeated here: canopy arches and decoration based on elements of nature, plants and animals.

The annexed monastic building consisted of a large kitchen, outbuildings for the community at the top and bottom of courtyards, barns and cellars. In the year 1668 it suffered a tremendous fire that left the friars with nowhere to take refuge. It was soon rebuilt and has housed a philosophy faculty since 1797, playing a prominent role in welcoming clerics fleeing France because of the revolution.

Its decline began during the war against the French (19th century), where invading troops destroyed the church. In 1813, another fire would eventually destroy what was left of the monastery. With the confiscation would come its final abandonment. It would then be sold to whoever might choose to sell their stones. It is currently in the process of declaring a Site of Cultural Interest.


Lugar de Trandeiras, 32636 Xinzo de Limia, Ourense


42.102315634736854, -7.659719760746486 HTML tutorial
View in Google Maps

Legends / Linked Stories

Legend says that the Virgin appeared to a neighbor of the place called Juan Folgoso. In this vision, Mary orders him to build a temple in her honor. Juan will tell about this apparition in his city and Alonso Diaz, another neighbor who will make jokes until he has an identical vision. Together they built the first chapel that would later become the magnificent monument we enjoy today.

The place has always been an important point of attraction for visitors to Portugal, as described by Antonio Couceiro Freijomil: “Of the many Portuguese who came on pilgrimage, they always came to ask for Bom Jesus”.

Monasterio do Bon Xesús de Trandeiras.

Information of interest

The cloister and other facilities are in a state of disrepair and can be visited freely and without timetable. To access the interior of the church, it is recommended to contact the Municipality of Xinzo de Limia in advance on 0034 988 460 768.


Calo Lourido, F. 2003. Catálogo, mit 2 textabibildungen, Farbtafel 1 und 4 sowie Tafel 1 – 50. Madrider Mitteilungen, 44: 6-32.

Conde-Valvís Fernández, F. 1949-1952. La Laguna Antela y sus Palafitos. Boletín de la Comisión Provincial de Monumentos Históricos y Artísticos de Orense, XVII: 293-318.

Luján, E. R. 2009. Pueblos celtas y no celtas de la Galicia Antigua: fuentes literarias frente a fuentes epigráficas. En XXII Seminario de Lenguas y Epigrafía Antiguas: 219-250. Valencia: Real Acadèmia de Cultura Valenciana.

Maier Allende, J., Schattner, T. G. 2012. La primera estatua de guerrero galaico hallada en España Villar de Barrio (Orense). Boletín de la Real Academia de la Historia, 209 (3): 459-482.

Vázquez Pardo, E. 1924. El Mercurio de nuestro Museo. BCMOU, VII (157): 193-220. Ourense.



Scroll to Top